Friday, November 11, 2011

Home
I thought I left you behind with my grandparents, my dog,
In a sun-baked, family-buffered, cricket-obsessed memory
Far back in another life, with another man’s dreams.
Home
I now find you adrift on the high seas
Floating away on the little buffets of wind,
Your temples lit with cyan lanterns rocking quietly
Swaying to the rhythm of the waves
The sweet smell of sandalwood and old flowers lingering in your narrow
Rock-walled alleyways
And your disheveled, over grown gardens.
Home
I find,
Is tangled in her hair,
In the sound of her voice and
The lilt of her chiding.
Waiting for the smile to turn into an embracing expanse
And swallow me whole, and satisfy my unrequited hunger.
Home
Is strewn across faces that I’ve never seen
Yet would love to like, and vice versa
And scrounges around in forests for aromatic tubers
And runs naked through the trees, headlong then into the cool brook.
Home
Has cheated me of peace
And robbed my days of rich sunlight.
Home
And its grand mythologies
Of beasts that scream in my dreams
And of planets that sing in sweet harmonies across the emptiness
Has left me bereft.
I can never go home now,
And that forbidden fruit is the most tempting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home